West Elementary School Vision Statement:
At West School, we are a community where students, staff, and families work collaboratively and creatively to nurture lifelong learners. We implement best practices and hold all individuals to high expectations of character and achievement.Parents,
FALL/WINTER WEATHER REMINDER
MARK YOUR CALENDAR!
· Tuesday, December 16 & 17th am – Holiday Shopping for Students – Information will be coming home
· Friday, December 19 – Last FULL day of school before Winter Break
· Monday, December 22 – Friday, January 2, 2015 – NO SCHOOL – WINTER BREAK
· Monday, January 5 – School Resumes
· Friday, January 9 – EARLY DISMISSAL – 1:00 PM – End of 9 weeks
· Monday, January 19 – Martin Luther King BDay – NO SCHOOL
· Friday, January 23 – Young Author Project due to Office.
· Friday, January 23 – Progress Reports Distributed
From Mrs. Tonaki, Orchestra:
4th & 5th grade orchestra concert: Monday, December 15th at 7:00pm in the high school auditorium. Students are to report to the high school band room at 6:25 to tune and warm up.
Please note: there will be NO after-school orchestra rehearsals the week of the concert: December 15th, 16th, & 18th. Orchestra lessons, DURING the school day, WILL take place.
Young Author Projects
Young Authors projects started the week of November 24th. Recognition for winners will be held locally.
On Monday, November 24th, we announced that Sycamore School District was participating in the Young Authors Contest. If your child wishes to submit a project for this contest, the majority of the work needs to be done at home. Here are some guidelines to follow:
· Work must be original and should demonstrate creativity.
· The story must be written in the child’s own words and should be of interest to the child’s own age group.
· Illustrations may be done by the child.
· Parents may give suggestions as to how to improve the manuscript. They may serve as editors but not as co-authors.
· Quality counts. Many pages that say nothing will not make a winner.
· Spelling, punctuation, and grammar must be perfect in the final copy.
· Dictated books may be typed or handwritten by an adult.
· The book should have an attractive front cover, title page, clean back cover and be formatted as much as possible like trade books for primary school children.
Those selected will receive building recognition and Community members will select (3) three representatives from all students that participated in district. Those students will receive plaques and will be honored at the March 10, 2015 Board of Education Meeting.