On Tuesday, May 14, 2019, Board of Education member, Mr. Austin Hofer, notified the Sycamore Community Unit School District 427 Board of Education of his resignation as a result of relocating outside of his elected township.
The Board immediately began the process of filling this vacancy according to Board Policy 2:70. The candidate appointed to this vacancy must reside within Cortland Township and will serve the unexpired term ending in April 2021. The appointment of this vacancy will be made within 45 days.
Applicant Qualifications & Instructions for Appointment
A candidate must meet the legal qualifications set forth in Board Policy 2:40.
- A United States citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident of Illinois and the District for at least one year immediately preceding the election
- A registered voter
For this vacancy, the applicant must also be a resident of Cortland Township. If you are unsure what township you reside in, please check with the county office.
- May 17, 2019 – Application Opens
- May 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM – Deadline for candidates to submit an application
- May 28, 2019 – Board of Education reviews candidates during executive session of its regular meeting
- May 29, 2019 – Selected candidates will be notified of interviews by the Board of Education
- June 11, 2019 – Special Board Meeting to interview candidates during executive session
- June 25, 2019 – Appoint selected candidate as a member of the Board of Education
Applicants for this volunteer opportunity to serve the community shall show familiarity with the Board’s policies regarding general duties and responsibilities of the Board and a board member, including fiduciary responsibilities, conflicts of interest, ethics and gift ban to name a few. Information about Board duties and policies are available on the Board of Education Policy webpage.
Applicants must be available for regular meetings which occur on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month. Additional special meetings may occur throughout the year.
Applicants must submit a letter of interest, a resume, and provide responses to the following utilizing the application below.
- Why are you seeking appointment to the Sycamore Community Unit School District 427 Board of Education?
- Have you ever served as a board member of any organization? If yes, please elaborate.
Applications must be completed and submitted no later than 12:00 PM on Monday, May 28, 2019.
Please be advised that any documents you submit to the District in conjunction with this process may become public record. In addition, if you are appointed to the Board, you will be required to file a Statement of Economic Interest with the DeKalb County Clerk’s office.