Wind Chill Warning
-30°F or less
10 mph or greater
-15°F of less
A wind chill warning indicates that life-threatening conditions and risk of safety exists. Measures should be taken to safeguard life and property immediately. A wind chill warning is typically issued when the wind chill will be -30°F or colder and the winds are greater than or equal to 10 mph OR the actual temperature is -15°F.
In the event of a Wind Chill Warning, a Severe Cold School Closure Day will be implemented. Classes will be canceled and school closure protocols will be instituted. All notification systems will be leveraged to send school cancellation communications to families.
Wind Chill Advisory
-20°F to -29°F
10 mph or greater
-5°F to -14°F
A wind chill advisory is issued when conditions do not meet the wind chill warning criteria but still cause significant inconvenience. The weather during a wind chill advisory is not life-threatening but presents conditions that may result in inconveniences or poses a moderate risk to safety. A wind chill advisory is typically issued when the wind chill is -20°F or colder AND the winds are greater or equal to 10 mph.
In the event a Wind Chill Advisory is in effect, the District may remain open and student attendance is expected.
- All off-campus activities will be suspended (this includes, but is not limited to, all off-site daytime programs, field trips, and work programs).
- Scheduled student transports between buildings will be assessed.
- All outside student activities will be suspended.
- Students will be allowed to keep outerwear with them while in the building.
- All lab-based activities that have the potential to cause fire or smoke alarm activation will be reevaluated or rescheduled. Communication and coordination with the impacted departments will be conducted by building administration.
- In the event of an emergency where evacuation of a building is necessary, District administration will work with local emergency personnel to get students out of the elements as quickly as possible. In most cases, the District would transport students to one of two reunification sites. To learn more about this process, please visit our Student/Parent Reunification Process webpage.
- Extracurricular activities will be evaluated and may be suspended if conditions persist.