Nutrition Education & Promotion
Free and Reduced Meals
Students need healthy meals to learn. As part of our commitment to empowering our learners to succeed, Sycamore Community School District 427 offers healthy meals every school day, and some students qualify to receive them for free or at a reduced price.
About Arbor Management, Inc
Arbor Management is a privately held, employee-owned business that has provided services to school districts in the Midwest for over thirty years. They are committed to providing a highly customized service specifically designed to meet the needs of the students, parents, and staff of Sycamore Community School District 427.
Arbor's Mission is to:
- Aid in the fight against childhood obesity by serving wholesome meals that provide fuel and nutrients for healthy body weight.
- Maximize the use of fresh fruits and vegetables purchased locally as seasonally available.
- Serve a wide assortment of fresh, nutrient-rich foods every day and encourage the consumption of wholesome, balanced meals.
- Provide a variety of protein options including lean meat, poultry, legumes, tofu, hummus, yogurt, and quinoa.
- Serve products with a minimum number of ingredients and avoid added sugars, artificial ingredients, and preservatives.
- Use cage-free poultry with no added hormones or steroids.
- Purchase fresh eggs from a local farm that has been awarded for innovative conservation and ships eggs within twenty-four hours of being laid.
- Serve local skim and low-fat milk that is free from artificial growth hormones and is produced at sustainable farms.
- Eliminate all trans-fats. Utilize healthy cooking techniques including baking, grilling, and steaming.
- Conduct surveys, taste tests, and food advisory committees to collaborate and brainstorm new ideas with students, parents, and staff.
- Provide education and information regarding allergen safety, label reading, and age-appropriate portion sizes.
- Offer fresh, whole, and multigrain bread to increase vitamin and fiber intake.
- Promote environmental responsibility and sustainability.