In the Event of a Confirmed COVID-19 Case
Sycamore Community School District 427 will take all precautionary measures to ensure that your child and all staff are safe and healthy at school. If your child is exposed to someone who has COVID-19, the following procedures must be followed.
Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms. People in quarantine should stay home, separate themselves from others, monitor their health, and follow directions from their state or local health department.
Any student who has been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 should quarantine for fourteen days.
This includes people who previously had COVID-19 and people who have taken a serologic (antibody) test and have antibodies to the virus.
- A person was within 6 feet of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 or symptomatic for a cumulative 15 minutes.
- A person shared eating or drinking utensils.
- Another person sneezed, coughed, or somehow got respiratory droplets on a person.
Individual schools will implement a tracking process for monitoring students who have been excluded from school due to having COVID-19 like symptoms, have been diagnosed with COVID-19, or have been exposed to someone with COVID19 and are in quarantine.
- All students who have been medically excluded for any of the above reasons must check-in and be cleared by the school nurse prior to returning to class.
- Confirmed cases of COVID-19 will be reported to the local health department by the school nurse or designee as required by the Illinois Infectious Disease Reporting requirements issued by the IDPH.
- Families will immediately be informed of any possible exposure their child may have had to a person with a confirmed COVID-19 case while maintaining student and staff confidentiality rights.
- If a student or staff member develops symptoms of COVID-19 during the school day:
- If a student or staff member is confirmed to have a case of COVID-19, the following steps will be taken immediately to reduce transmission:
- If a student or staff member has had close contact with the individual confirmed to have a case of COVID-19, the following steps will be taken immediately to reduce transmission: