Maintaining Healthy School Environments
In This Section:
- Social Distancing
- Use of Shared Objects
- Water Fountains
- Cafeterias/Food Service
- Recess (Elementary Students)
- Field Trips
- Extracurricular Activities
- Physical Education, Gymnasiums & Locker Rooms
- Driver Education Behind-the-Wheel Instruction (High School Students)
- Music-Related Courses
- Rest Time (Kindergarten)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting Surfaces
- Out of School Care (OSCAR)
- Desks/tables will be turned to face forward
- Students will have an assigned seat and teachers will develop a marked path of travel within the classroom in order to maintain social distance from entry into the classroom.
- Visual posters showing 6 feet of distance will be placed throughout all schools.
- Markers will be placed on the floor to show students how far 6 feet is for all common areas of the building.
- In hallways, students will walk to the right and keep distance between each other students during the passing period.
- The number of people in hallways will be limited to the greatest extent possible.
- Lockers for both middle and high school students will be prohibited until further notice.
- Staff and students should abstain from physical contact, including, but not limited to, handshakes, high fives, hugs, etc.
- Students belongings will be separated from others’ and in individually labeled containers, cubbies, or areas.
- Teachers will ensure adequate supplies to minimize sharing of high touch materials to the greatest extent possible.
- Teachers will encourage students to avoid sharing electronic devices, toys, books, and other games or learning aids.
- If materials are needed to be shared, students will wash their hands after use.
- Students will have designated seats during breakfast and lunch in order to maintain social distancing in the cafeteria.
- Students will be allowed to remove their face coverings to eat lunch but will continue to sit six feet apart from each other
- Cafeterias will be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to beginning of each meal period
- Hand hygiene for all students must be practiced both before and after each meal that is held in the classroom.
Elementary school students will have lunch during the school day in the cafeteria or an alternative location in their school. Due to the timing of lunch at the elementary level, some grade level will need to eat a snack during the day. Students will wash their hands before and after snack time. Additionally, students will maintain six feet of social distancing during all snack times.
High school students will eat during their assigned lunch periods. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors will be allowed to leave campus for lunch if they choose. Students who opt to leave campus for lunch must return promptly for their next class. Students who decide to remain on campus for lunch will eat in both the cafeteria and main gym at six feet apart. Security and administrative staff will direct students to different spaces as needed. Weather permitting, outdoor eating spaces will be provided.
- Face masks will be required when inside, but can be removed when PE is outside and social distancing is maintained.
- Any sort of physical contact between students is prohibited in order to prevent the spreading of germs.
- The use of any shared gym equipment is not recommended, but is allowable when proper cleaning procedures are followed.
- Only two students and one instructor per vehicle
- Face coverings must be worn
- Eating and drink are prohibited in the vehicle
- Windows must be open whenever possible
- Do not make any unnecessary stops during the training
- Complete hand hygiene with soap & water or hand sanitizer, before and after driving
- Clean and disinfect the steering wheel, door handles, seat belt fastener, controls/dials, keys, etc. in between each behind-the-wheel session
- Conduct regular routine cleaning and disinfecting of the seats
- If surfaces are dirty, they will be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- Employees will follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products for concentration, application method and contact time, etc.
- Frequently touched surfaces (e.g., door handles, sink handles) within the school and on school buses will be cleaned at least daily or between use as much as possible.
- There will be a schedule for increased, routine cleaning and disinfection.
However, we are excited to announce the return of our summer OSCAR program! This program is open to all students currently attending Sycamore elementary schools in Kindergarten through 5th grade. The program will operate from 6:30 AM - 6:00 PM each weekday beginning Monday, June 14, 2021 through Friday, August 6, 2021, at South Prairie Elementary School. The program will be closed Monday, July 5.
Due to safety precautions, this program will be limited to 100 students. A waitlist will be created once registration slots are filled.
OSCAR has worked with community resources to be able to make sure our families' needs are still being met. Kishwaukee YMCA will be offering full day childcare services to families. Kishwaukee YMCA does accept 4C financial assistance.