If enabled by your district, you will see a Join Groups and Manage Groups option in your menu.
The differences between the two pages are listed below:
|Join Groups Page (Participant)||Manage Groups Page (Group Teacher)|
Depending on what your district has enabled, there are two types of groups you will see in both the Join Groups page and the Manage Groups page:
- Groups you’re automatically joined with linked to your account.
- Group created by you and other teachers that you can join and leave if given an access code.
- If an automatic group appears in your Manage Groups page, You’re the “Group teacher” and will be able to see all participants linked to that group. Participants who don’t have a SchoolMessenger App account will be greyed out and marked as “Unregistered”. These accounts will become live as soon as they create a SchoolMessenger App account with the email they use with the school.
- If an automatic group appears on your Join Groups page, you’re a participant of the group. Clicking the group will only display the Group Teacher and the district connected to the group.
Unlike teacher-created groups, automatic groups cannot be edited by the teacher. There isn’t a Details button that will allow the use to change the group name or delete the group. Teacher’s also can’t remove or add participants and participants can’t remove or add themselves into these groups.
These groups are created at the district level and you will need to speak with your school if you’re a part of a group you shouldn’t be in, or if there’s a participant in your group that shouldn’t be there.
If enabled by your district, teachers can create conversation or discussion groups in which students and parents can participate. But before such participation can occur, participants must be invited and provided an access code to join the group.
Creating a Group
Note: If group creation has been disabled by your district, you will not have a Create a Group link.
- Click the Manage Groups menu option.
- Click the Create a Group link. If you already have created one or more groups, they will be listed on this page. Otherwise, you will only see a prompt to create a new group.
- Create a name for the group (e.g. Chess Club).
- Make note the Group access code in SchoolMessenger app generated. Anyone who joins will need to know the exact access code in order to join the group.
- Click Done. The group you just created will appear on the next screen with 0 members.
- Distribute the access code to those you want to add to your group so they can join.
Joining a Group
- Click on the Join a Group menu option.
- Click on the Join Group link.
- In the Join Group window, enter the access code that was provided to you.
- Click on Join.
Leaving a Group
- Click on Leave Group to the left of the group you wish to leave.
- Confirm that you no longer want to be part of the group in the next window.