Sycamore Community School District 427 Seeks a Superintendent who...
- Inspires trust, self-confidence, and models high standards of integrity and personal performance with the ability to develop and communicate a vision of quality education for the future to the board, staff and community.
- Possesses excellent people skills, presents a positive image of the District and will listen to input and make informed decisions when necessary.
- Is a strong communicator; speaking, listening and writing.
- Has knowledge of and successful experience in sound fiscal practices and management of district resources, including appropriate participation of others in planning and decision making.
- Is strongly committed to a “student-first” philosophy in all decisions.
- Is capable of developing both short and long range district goals.
- Demonstrates commitment to community visibility with high interest in a broad range of community groups and organizations.
- Has demonstrated strong leadership skills in previous positions.
- Promotes positive student behavior conducive to student achievement/learning climate.
- Possess the leadership skills required to respond to the challenges presented by an ethnically and culturally diverse community.
- Is able to lead a large organization dedicated to goals of continuous improvement.
The Superintendent of the Sycamore Community School District 427 will be a leader with a demonstrated understanding and support of all sectors of the community and committed to addressing the following:
- Develop and manage innovative and relevant initiatives with an emphasis on responding to the untapped educational needs of the District.
- Lead the implementation of the STRATEGIC PLAN based on an assessment of the needs of all constituents, both internal and external.
- Maintain current and build additional partnerships with community stakeholders, including Kishwaukee College, Northern Illinois University, local business and industry, and regional economic development agencies.
- Provide leadership to further develop and promote a positive, collaborative District climate through a participative and transformational leadership and management style.
- Strengthen the District’s Foundation and alumni relations programs.
- Demonstrate a serious and ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Proactively lead the District in strategic transformation while understanding the changing landscape of K-12 education.
- Understand the issues facing public education in Illinois.
Sycamore Schools seeks an experienced, visible and visionary leader who embraces the District Mission and is:
- A student-centered team builder who will engage faculty, staff, students and community stakeholders and solicit input from others in key decision making.
- A lifelong learner who understands and proactively responds to issues affecting the District and its students.
- An academic leader with experience leading assessment projects and instructional excellence.
- A successful budget manager with an impeccable financial background with expertise and experience and finance.
- A transformational leader with a track record of accomplishments and effectiveness in prior positions.
- Commitment to providing professional development opportunities for faculty and staff and develop leadership from within.
- A politically savvy leader with experience with external relationships and working in the interests of the District at the local and state level.
- A manager with an understanding of an expertise in complying with external regulators.
- A collaborative and engaging leader with outstanding communications skills, verbal and written.
- A community leader who will actively engage with local initiatives.
- An administrator who is proficient with current technology and can lead with expertise in its application to teaching, learning and student services.
- A student-focused leader who supports and understand the unique issues related to student success including extra-curricular activities.
- Experience working collaboratively with unions.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
- Experience working with an elected Board of Education.
Located 60 miles west of Chicago, Sycamore Community School District 427 covers 81.57 miles and includes the communities of Sycamore, Clare, Cortland, DeKalb, Genoa, and Maple Park. District 427 has a current enrollment of approximately 3,800 students. The District currently operates five elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. The District employs a highly-qualified staff and provides the best educational opportunities for the students of our community using the resources we have available. Standardized achievement test results are consistently above state and national averages.
OUR STRATEGIC DESIGN
EMPOWERING ALL LEARNERS TO SUCCEED IN THEIR WORLD
Our mission powerfully and concisely states the purpose of the Sycamore Learning Community. Our mission inspirationally states the reason that our school system exists. It is the starting point for all decisions regarding learners and learning, learner outcomes, learning opportunities, policies, practices, and all matters of importance.
As we strive on a daily basis to accomplish our mission of “Empowering all learners to exceed in their world,” it is important that everyone base their decisions and actions on our strong beliefs. What we accomplish is important, but how we accomplish it is sometimes even more important.
REGARDING LEARNERS AND LEARNING, WE BELIEVE:
- All learners have talent, want to succeed, and have a desire to learn.
- Success is earned through the continual development of a growth mindset.
- Learners progress at different rates, in different ways, for different futures.
- All learners deserve a safe environment where they feel valued and value others.
REGARDING LEARNING FACILITATORS, WE BELIEVE:
- Learning Facilitators build relationships that engage learners in learning.
- Learning Facilitators are innovative, enthusiastic lifelong learners.
- Learning Facilitators empower all learners to reach their individual potential.
REGARDING OUR LEARNING COMMUNITY, WE BELIEVE::
- Parents are partners and the learners’ first teachers.
- Community partnerships are essential.
- Interactive experiences foster community support.
- Our learning community provides a sense of family.
OUR CORE VALUES
Those values that everyone in the Sycamore Learning Community will strive to model and that will be part of our Ethical and Moral Foundation.
All interested and qualified candidates should submit their application materials, which includes a
letter of interest, resume, and completed application, by 4:00 PM on Friday, September 27, 2019.
Sycamore Community School District 427 is an equal opportunity employer.
Salary and Benefits
The salary will be regionally competitive plus an excellent comprehensive benefit package. The final salary for the successful candidate will be negotiated and determined based upon proven experience, qualifications, and meeting Board criteria.
Deadline and Selection
All materials submitted as part of the superintendent application will remain confidential to the extent allowed by law, which includes board review in a closed session of the Board of Education. After all applications have been reviewed and preliminary interviews conducted by the consultant, the names of the semifinalists will be presented to the Sycamore Community Unit School District 427 Board of Education for its consideration.
The candidate must have or be qualified to obtain superintendent certification in Illinois. Questions about certification should be directed to the Illinois State Board of Education either by telephone at (217) 557-6763 or through the ISBE website at www.isbe.net.